Brotherton Seed Co., Inc. has the following Position open:
Job Title: Assistant Plant Breeder
Location: Brotherton Seed Co., Inc.
City: Moses Lake
Assist in the development of pea and bean varieties for fresh market, canning and freezing industries. Perform initial multiplication of new varieties, plant variety protection, purification and maintenance of existing varieties, trialing, and assessment of adaptation of varieties. Support sales staff with appropriate performance data. Design techniques to bring precision in pollination practice for efficient hybridization with short but critical flowering period. Collaborate with plant breeders, scientists, and technical staff. Travel to Brotherton’s nursery, research fields throughout the Pacific Northwest, and greenhouse as well as other research-related locations as needed. Travel is in own car, 10% of the time.
Master’s degree in Agronomy, Crop Science, Horticulture, or Agricultural Science, or foreign degree equivalent; and:
- 2 years of experience performing pollination biology research for horticultural crops.
- 2 years of experience performing agricultural research developing innovative pollination approaches to improve and enhance existing hybridization processes.
- 2 years of experience performing data analysis and management for plant research using Minitab and SAS.
- Research experience must include experience collaborating with plant breeders, scientists and technical staff.
- Post graduate degree thesis must include molecular research of horticultural crops, or may substitute 2 years of work experience performing molecular research of horticultural crops.
- Must be willing and able to work in hot and dusty environments and travel in own car 10% of the time to Brotherton’s nursery, research fields throughout the Pacific Northwest, and greenhouse as well as other research-related locations.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Experience may be gained concurrently and before/during/after degree. Equivalent part-time experience is acceptable.